The Future Road-map of Dairy Science Park
The Roadmap of DS Park has been prepared in line under the following policy guidelines:
- United Nations – Transforming our world: the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, #SDGAction9671
- Pakistan Vision 2015, Government of Pakistan
- Industrial Policy Khyber Pakhtunkhwa 2016
- Dairy Science Park (The Society)
A society emerged at the University of Agriculture, Peshawar, Pakistan, registered under Societies’ Registration Act XXI of 1860, Government of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa supporting self employment and hygienic food production in partnership with UN SDGs (Requirements: The Senior Minister LG committed constitution of Task Force and a Grant of Rs.50 million to demonstrate commercialization models and prepare act for DSP Board).
- DSP Board (Development Component)
Establishment of a Dairy Science Park Board has been agreed by the provincial government, for developing the province as a Halal Meat Export Base utilizing the manpower, research and development institutions and unutilized/under-utilized public and private assets through PPP, DSP Veterinary Clinics and Marketing Centers, Agri-Marts, franchise developments, commercial companies, etc. Requirement for the Authority comprise: i. KP DSPA Act; ii. Endowment Fund Rs.250 million. A Task Force has been agreed by the Senior Minister Local Government and directed for initiation of a Summary for Approval of the Chief Minister KP. The following guidelines have been provided:
- The Board will be established as a symbol of hope for the people of KP and the adjoining regions of FATA and Afghanistan.
- The Board will ensure productive utilization of the human resource and material assets in the best interest of the province and the region through partnership with the public and private sector organizations and individuals.
- The Board will be a regulatory, financial, development and marketing authority supporting commercialization of livestock and allied sectors in KP.
- The Board will work on the basis of self reliance and no repeated funds will be requested for routine operational activities; however, for introduction of special packages and campaigns grants and donations will be accepted.
- Selection and promotion of staff and fixation of salary will be made on performance basis.
- Sales and purchases will be made through local committees and advertisements in the printed and electronic media; local and international; and quality of materials will be preferred for purchases.
- Performance audits will be preferred over fiscal audit and liberty will be provided to local committees in financial transactions to avoid unnecessary delays.
- Endowment Fund will be utilized up to maximum to support establishment of new entrepreneurs, improvement of existing entrepreneurs, establishment of common facilities centers and launching of feasible and innovative investment models.
- Information Technologies, business administration, material engineering; environment sciences, satellite information system, etc, will be integrated into the Board’s functioning using the national and international linkages.
- Technical, administrative and financial progress of the Board will be reported monthly and a toll free telephone number will be publicized widely to get advice and inputs from the masses and complaints for any irregularity, for the purpose of transparency and accountability.
- Members and staff of the Board will work like a family with equal respect and working space for all.
- Awareness campaigns will be held widely to reach the target groups and get them engaged with Dairy Science Park network for participating in the provincial development agenda.
- Developing SOPs for producers, processors, marketing partners and service providers and certification for quality assurance
- Introducing innovations like biogas, solar water pumps, good practices and traceability in the medium sized livestock and poultry farms registered with DSPS through Business Facilitation Centers in the private and public sectors
- Price of the products of the registered farms will be fixed for the registered farmers in consultation with the price regulating committee of the DSPB
- Financial, technical and marketing support to the youth for self-employment
- Facilitation of Corporate and Development Partners of DSPS in horizontal and vertical expansion of business activities
- Introduction of Agri-Marts, and a chain of restaurants linked with the registered farmers
- Establishment of livestock and poultry breeding farms in partnership with the public or private organizations/individuals
- Training of entrepreneurs, farm/industry workers, scientists
- ISO certification of producers, processors and service providers through DSPS Panel of Experts and Development Partners
- Financial support to the registered members through Islamic leasing, Mudaraba and Takaful
- Competitive Research Grants for: i) developing feasibility models for entrepreneurship; ii) export-oriented/import-substitutional industrial research
- Infrastructural support for providing cold chain, transportation, cold storage and air cargo for Halal meat
- Legislation for protecting interests of the consumers and members/partners of the Park
- Accepting and donating grants, aids and loans in the interest of the people of KP
- Close liaison with the international partners and friendly countries in achieving the goals
- Developing feasibility models
- Facilitating groups of stakeholders in establishing entrepreneurs
- Input supply and services through Business Facilitation Centers
- Replication of prototypes through graduate entrepreneurship
- Establishing breeding stocks, farming and value addition, renewable energy, housing
- Branding of DSP Halal meat and outlets/ export for product marketing
- Charity and Bait-ul-mal for the neglected segment of Society
- Fund to support various livestock and poultry development activities including training, market research, upfront procurement for sale to the dairy farmers or dairy industry of containers, coolers, instant chillers, liquid nitrogen flasks and other equipment; to support innovations, the development and promotion of farm products, consumption and export of farm products
- University of Veterinary Innovations and Commercialization (UVIC, Academic Component)
Faculty of Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Sciences (FAHVS), the University of Agriculture Peshawar will be upgraded to UVIC to promote industrial research, quality control, entrepreneurship development, Halal certification, and legislative support to the entrepreneurs. Logistic support will be provided to the DSP Society and DSP Board.
- Integration of the teaching and research with the sectoral issues, emerging challenges and needs of the stakeholders
- Development of quality control and certification standards for medium-sized entrepreneurs engaged in livestock and poultry production, processing and marketing; farmers’ groups; exporters and corporate sector
- Establishment and collaboration with reference laboratories for quality control and certification of medium sized entrepreneurs, farmers’ groups, exporters and corporate sector
- Integrating environmental, ethical and public health concerns into the livestock food value chain
- Introducing innovations like biogas, solar water pumps, good practices and traceability in the medium sized livestock and poultry entrepreneurs
- Analyzing financial, technical and marketing issues in livestock and poultry production practices
- Studies on cost-effectiveness of livestock and poultry entrepreneurship
- Creating a database of Corporate and Development Partners of DSPS for horizontal and vertical expansion in livestock and poultry entrepreneurship
- Analysis of issues faced by livestock and poultry breeding farms in partnership with the public or private organizations/individuals
- Studies on infrastructure availability for, milk/meat/eggs factories, cold chain, transportation, cold storage and air cargo for Halal meat
- Studies on legislative barriers faced by the producers, service providers and consumers of livestock and poultry products
- Studies on the status and identifying success stories in financing of livestock and poultry entrepreneurship under the Islamic perspectives
- Monitoring and facilitating the developments made under the Dairy Science Park through local government and other sponsors
The existing Faculty (FAHVS) will be split into two Faculties of: i) Veterinary Sciences and: ii) Animal Production Sciences and a third; iii) Faculty of Dairy Science Park will be created as follows:
- Faculty of Veterinary Sciences
- Institute of Biosciences Sciences: The existing disciplines and resources available for teaching and research in Anatomy, Physiology and Biochemistry; these facilities would be strengthened for educating the students on the basics of animal production, health care and stress factors hitting these two parameters.
- Institute of Pre-Clinical Sciences: The existing disciplines and resources available for teaching and research in Pharmacology, Microbiology, Pathology and Parasitology; these facilities would be strengthened for better understanding the diseases patron and role of the pharmaceutical products in improving health and productivity.
- Institute of Clinical Sciences: The existing disciplines and resources available for teaching and research in Reproduction, Medicine, Surgery and allied disciplines; these facilities would be strengthened for meeting challenges faced by the farming and business communities, generation of self-employment and production of hygienic food for the local people and export.
- Faculty of Animal Production Sciences
- Institute of Dairy and Meat Sciences: The existing Department of Livestock Management will be upgraded to the Institute of Dairy and Meat Sciences and would take care of advances in dairy science, management systems, breeding studies, management innovations, stress management and farm automations
- Institute of Animal Nutrition and Feed Sciences: The existing Department of Animal Nutrition would be upgraded to Institute of Animal Nutrition and would take care of exploring indigenous feed resources, fattening trials, alternate feed resources and industrial application of nutrition sciences
- Institute of Poultry and Wildlife Sciences: The existing Department of Poultry Sciences would be upgraded to Institute of Poultry Sciences and would take care of broilers and layers production, quails breeding and farming, turkeys farming, ducks farming, rabbits farming, worm meals studies, enzymes application in poultry feeds and fortified eggs production
- Faculty of Dairy Science Park
- Department Products Technology: The existing Dairy Technology Center will be added with a Meat Technology Center and will be upgraded to the status of Department of Products Technology under the Faculty of Dairy Science Park; responsible for teaching and research on dairy/meat/eggs products, covering nutrients analysis and quality parameters
- Department of Biorisk Management: The existing biorisk management initiated through the Zoonosis Information Resource Center and Zoonotic Disease Laboratory sponsored by the Relief International and the Pakistan Biorisk Curriculum sponsored by Sandia National Laboratories USA, will be upgraded into the Department of Biorisk Management under the Faculty of Dairy Science Park. This Department will take care of teaching and research in biorisk management and develop quality standards for livestock and poultry farms, processing facilities and marketing outlets.
- Department of Entrepreneurship and certification: This Department will comprise the University Feed Mill, University Dairy Farm, Regi Town Slaughter House under construction by the provincial government and other potential activities of the Faculty and provincial Government/private sector. The Department will work on teaching, research and development of feasibility models for self-employment of youth and hygienic food production for the people. This Department will collaborate with the Dairy Science Park Society and its registered partners, the sister Departments and private sector/development organizations, to evaluate the registered enterprises for profitability, quality parameters, Halal standards, supporting commercial-lization and certification.
CPEC Vision: DSP envisions KP and northern areas of Pakistan and the adjoining areas of Afghanistan, Tajikistan, and China into a food export base. For this purpose satellite campuses of the University will be established at Kashgar, Gilgit, Bannu, and Gwadar. Partnership will be established with local investors, corporate farmers and processors to initiate joint ventures.
- The Existing Faculties will continued the DVM/MSc Hons/PhD degrees, already in place. New degrees may be introduced as per society needs and availability of resources; Postdoc in various disciplines with sufficient academic standing
- Faculty of Dairy Science Park will introduce M Phil/PhD in Agribusiness (Livestock)/Meat and Dairy Technology/Public Health and Biorisk Management; Diplomas in Livestock Entrepreneurship/Halal Food; Certificate courses; Postdoc in various disciplines with sufficient academic standing
The Academic Programs have been approved by Boards of Studies of Animal Health and Poultry Science Departments and will be submitted to the remaining Boards for approval.